RE:[Xen-users] I/O hangs with Xen 3.0.1 on Dell poweredge

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:35:34 +0000
From: Dr A V Le Blanc A.V.LeBlanc@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] I/O hangs with Xen 3.0.1 on Dell poweredge
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't know if anyone is having a similar problem.
I've installed Xen 3.0.1 on a Dell PowerEdge 2850 using source
downloaded by mercurial on March 14. The machine has an e1000
ethernet card and an LSI megaraid controller which looks like
this in the dmesg at boot time:
megaraid cmm: 2.20.2.5 (Release Date: Fri Jan 21 00:01:03 EST 2005)
megaraid: 2.20.4.5 (Release Date: Thu Feb 03 12:27:22 EST 2005)
megaraid: probe new device 0x1028:0x0013:0x1028:0x016d: bus 2:slot 14:func 0
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0e.0[A] -> GSI 46 (level, low) -> IRQ 46
megaraid: fw version:[521S] bios version:[H430]
scsi0 : LSI Logic MegaRAID driver
I compiled xen after using 'make menuconfig' to add the MEGARAID_MM
and MEGARAID_MAILBOX drivers to the kernel; I do notice that this
makes other changes in the .config file.
I can boot dom0 and create and start other domains. Unfortunately,
whenever I do anything involving much disk access, or so it appears,
the kernel appears to hang. I have a DELL DRAC card (for what it's
worth), and I can get in on the serial console and use SysRq to
send commands to the hung system, so I know the kernel is still
responding, but all ssh sessions active on dom0 or on any other
domain hang. The syslog shows no message before the reboots,
and there are no particular error messages in xend.log.
Has anyone else seen something similar? Is this a known problem,
and can it be fixed? Thanks for your comments.

-- Owen

Dr A V Le Blanc

I painfully went through this and spent over a month trying to figure it out with 2 PE2850's.  One gracious XEN user pointed out that the USB controllers were the source of my problems.  I disabled all USB controllers and removed he drivers using 'make menuconfig' and both servers are pretty much humming along.  Not a single hang since then.

Now networking is a whole other issue...still need to crack that egg.

Max Baro
Technical Support Supervisor
FACTS Services, Inc.
(305) 284 - 7440