Re: [Xen-users] pygrub on a ext2 filesystem

Robert Hendrickx wrote:

Hello,

I installed a guest system directly on a LVM volume of my host. I mean this volume does not
contain a partition table, but directly an ext3 fs.

When I try to use pygrub on it, I receive :

[...]
   fs = fstype.open_fs(fn, offset)
 File "/usr/lib/python/grub/fsys/ext2/__init__.py", line 35, in open_fs
   return Ext2Fs(fn, offset = offset)
ValueError: unable to open file
Error: Boot loader didn't return any data!

I checked the values for fn (this is well my LVM volume device driver) and offset (0 as it must be
if I understand correctly).

The volume can be mounted without problem by the host, and was formatted by the command "mke2fs -j
/dev/VolGroup/guest_root".

Has someone an idea ?

I receive the very same error for a partitioned image file. I have reported this about one or two weeks ago to this mailing list and have not yet received a single answer.

I don't have an idea, but I am also interested in a solution. Perhaps it does not work with ext3, only ext2?

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold