[Xen-users] Growing a para-virtualized domain beyond its initial allocation?

This is somewhere between a user and a developer question, depending on the answers. My tests were on the latest SuSE drop of xen: 3.0.2_09434-0 on i386.

I want to start a domain with a small amount of memory, but have the potential to give it more if it needs it. (Perhaps after migrating to a machine with more memory available.)

A simple "xm mem-set" doesn't work like I want, Linux never sees the memory. Having looked at the balloon driver code, it would seem that specifying "mem=256M" on the kernel command line and "memory = 128M" and "maxmem = 256M" in the config file should do the right things, but in practice it doesn't work. When I try the "xm mem-set 4 256", /proc/xen/balloon in the guest reports that I have hit the Xen hard limit. (I haven't yet figured out where this is coming from.)

So, am I on the right track, but there is a bug? Should I be going about this another way? Is it hopeless? Assuming this works for para-virtualized domains, is there any hope for doing the same with a hvm-domain. (I'd guess not, but I'm supposed to ask.)

Thanks,

John Byrne