Re: [Xen-users] Bandwidth Monitoring

Tim Freeman wrote:
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 04:15:56 -0400 (EDT)
mrkris@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Anyone have any recommendations on how to limit the bandwidth for a domU,
say .. 1mb burstable or non burstable, along with say ... 300gb a month. I
have some friends on my xen server and just wanna limit what they do. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

The Linux tools http://lartc.org work well (we've used hierarchical token bucket
mostly). You can treat the domains just like any other computer behind a
bridging firewall/bandwidth limiting node.  Looking at concrete examples was
helpful to me when I was first looking at it, e.g., search for htb tc linux

Code was just committed to -unstable that does this (outbound only):

# HG changeset patch
# User kaf24@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
# Node ID dadadf9aeee713bbe2f8dc040a74f7cea2223f41
# Parent  2769a38f0e3e7ab544293833276a5d8cd0875483
Plumb network vif credit-based rate limiting thorugh xenbus
and xend into xm guest config files.

A new vif parameter 'rate' is supported, with an optional time window
paremeter for specifying granularity of credit replenishment. The default
window is 50ms. For example:

 'rate=10Mb/s'  'rate=250KB/s'  'rate=1MB/s@20ms'

Thank you,
Matt Ayres