[Xen-users] PAE performance cost on an Dual Opteron 265 with 8GB of RAM

  • To: Xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Robert Hulme" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:37:16 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 02:37:55 -0700

Hi,

I have a dual 265 with 8GB of RAM. I was planning on putting the 64
bit build of Xen on it but a friend of mine is a bit of a NetBSD bunny
and so I am considering putting the 32 bit build on as NetBSD doesn't
work on Opteron/64 bits.

As far as I'm aware to access all 8GB of memory I'll need to enable
PAE on xen? Is this correct?

None of the DomU's will have more than 1GB of RAM (probably none will
have that much - most likely 512MB max). Am I right in thinking that
all the Linux kernels will need PAE turned on? I get that impression
from http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2005-11/msg00442.html

There is a performance overhead with PAE isn't there? What kind of hit
am I looking at? Is it something to be worried about? >10% ?  I know
that question is moderately unanswerable in a strong sense but a feel
would be really handy.

Thanks guys
-Rob

"Which exclusive club are: My mother, my ex, and Patricia Measham a
member of? They're all people who have spanked me!" -Rob
"But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over
them—bring them here and kill them in front of me." - Jesus (Luke
19:27)

http://www.robhulme.com/
http://robhu.livejournal.com/