Re: [Xen-users] Vanderpool Hardware Question

  • To: Goran <xamiw@xxxxxxxx>
  • From: "David Goodlad" <dgoodlad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:51:24 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:52:04 -0700

On 4/19/06, Goran <xamiw@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've used xen for a while and now I want to use this obscure Intel
> technology called Vanderpool.
>
> If is correct what I've heard and read then Xen 3.0 should virtualize
> any x86 OS without modification. But if so I have some question...
>
> A. Based on the information in the german Wikipedia
> (
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanderpool#Prozessoren_mit_Vanderpool-Unterst.C3.BCtzung
>  ) I want to buy a Pentium D 920.
>
>     Is this a "good" cpu for using Vanderpool with Xen?

I use this CPU here, and it works just fine.  Overclocked to 3.5 GHz
without any extra cooling, even :)

> B. If I obtain a Pentium D 920...
>
>     Do I need a Mainboard with special chipset?

You need a motherboard that supports the Intel VT in the BIOS.  I use
an ASUS P5WD2-E Premium
(http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=0&model=981&modelmenu=1)
here.

> C. I know that I can't assign one ore more graphicadapters to a domU
> with paravirtualisation. But...
>
>     Is it possible to assign one ore more graphicadapters to one
> guestmaschine in Xen 3.0 with a Vanderpool capable machine?

You can't do PCI passthrough to an hvm guest, no :(  I had wanted to
do this as well, but it is not possible due to memory addressing
problems.

> I hope the questions are clear enough. If not just ask...
>
> Bye
>
> Goran

Good luck :)
Dave