Re: [Xen-users] XenAccess Library: Introspection for Xen

> I'm pleased to announce a new project called XenAccess.  The project
> goals are to provide a full featured introspection library for Xen.
> Introspection is a technique where applications in one domain can
> view memory from another domain.  For example, you can run an
> application in dom0 to list the processes or LKMs in a domU.  More
> information is available on the website:

Sounds like a great idea.

I can see this being useful for IDS, for system monitoring, live problem
diagnosis (e.g. trying to figure out what's going on in a machine that's
become unresponsive), etc.

Eventually you could extend this with the ability to interpose on disk /
network IO using the tap drivers (these are a bit out of date at the moment,
but I understand Andy is intending to work on them again at some point).

> Introspection has been discussed for a few years in the research
> community.  I'm hoping that this open source project will allow more
> people to play with it and start thinking about interesting
> applications for it.  And, of course, I'd be happy to see others
> interested in introspection get involved with this project as well!

It would be very nice to see Open Source IDS solutions based on this.  Had you
considered porting an existing in-host IDS to use your introspection library
to monitor another domain instead?

Actually, we can achieve several levels of monitoring now if we want:
1) IDS within a domain, either or both user and kernelspace.
2) IDS based on introspection in another domain on the same system.
3) IDS monitoring network traffic, either or both on the same system, or
another host on the network.

Another thing I've been thinking would be neat is to feed all this data (in
some standard format) into an IDS aggregator.  I've heard of such things, I
think, but I don't know what the current state of the art is.  It should be
possible to get quite accurate pinpointing and diagnosis of both virtualised
and non-virtualised servers across an enterprise this way.

Good luck with your work, anyhow!

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.