[Xen-users] kernel panic trying to boot dom0

Trying to install xen for the first time, can't get it to load

Celeron D processor

xen version 3.0.2-2
- downloaded binary version
- installed under a Debian Sarge environment

/ is on /dev/hda1, formatted as a ReiserFS

grub - commands entered manually
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/xen.gz  (link to xen-3.0.2-2.gz)
> module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen (link to vmlinuz..)
> boot

grub gives back encouraging messages at each step, but after the boot command, we get to a point where I get the error messsage Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,1)

note: Debian loads just fine

Any suggestions or ideas on what's going on here, or what to try next?

Thanks very much,

Miles