RE: [Xen-users] Basic Xen Question

  • To: "Julius Spencer" <julius@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 11:21:15 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 16 May 2006 03:03:36 -0700

For Xen 3.0 there is no such patches - it's obviously possible to
backport the current diffs from 2.6.16 to match 2.6.9, but it would
involve a fair amount of work - and the risk of breaking something is
the biggest problem here...

Now, my question is: Why would you want that? I can understand why
someone would want a DomU to run an older kernel - to be compatible with
some SW that is tested and approved for 2.6.9 exactly, and no other
kernel - but for Dom0 that should only be a service-OS for the domU's,
it shouldn't make any big difference what kernel you're running.

And of course, not so long ago, the complaint was that Xen was not
supporting the latest kernel - not from you, but that was a common
comment on this mailing list...

--
Mats