RE: [Xen-users] xen blocked state

It's worth noting that on a single CPU, if you're running xm list (or
anything else to get information on what domains are doing what), you
will perform that operation in a combination of Dom0 and the actual
HyperVisor. That means that Dom0 _MUST_ be running at the same time as
you're doing xm list. Whether some other domain is also running or not
depends on:
1. If there are other domains that are actually using CPU at the given
time.
2. If there is any other CPU that could do this. On a single CPU system,
that wouldn't be the case, but on a dual/quad/octet system you could
conceivably have 1, 3 or 7 other domains running at the same time.

On my dual core Athlon64, running Memtest-86 shows this:
Name                              ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State  Time(s)
Domain-0                           0      251     2 r----- 16666.5
MemTest86                          4     1024     1 r----- 76822.6

Obviously, Dom0 is running because I'm performing xm list on it. MemTest
is ALWAYS running if nothing else is there to run...

And yes, Blocked would be ANY waiting condition, whether it's a
semaphore to control some lock on a resource, or waiting for keyboard,
hard-disk, timer, network, serial port or whatever type of event it may
be. ANYTHING that causes the system to "wait" for something - except for
spinlocks, because they are not able to allow something else to run -
that is basically what blocked mean "I give up my right to the CPU, let
someone else use it" is what it means.

--
Mats