Re: [Xen-users] vif showing up as eth1 (no eth0)

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 03:12:17PM +0200, Mathieu Guillaume wrote:
> Is there any common reason why my network interface in a paravirtualized
> host would show up as eth1, but without an eth0 in the system?
> My vif line just says vif=['bridge=xenbr0'], and if I configure eth1
> manually from whithin the guest it works fine, but I find it kinda weird.
>
> This is with xen-unstable from 05/23, and the systems (both dom0 and
> domU) are kubuntu dapper.

I haven't used Kubuntu, but it's possible that there are udev rules for
network interface naming that assign the name of eth1 to the interface.
It might be worth looking in /etc/udev in the guest.

(Some recent version of the Debian udev packages include such rules to
allow network interface names to remain consistent even when the order
in which devices appear changes.  Perhaps that version of Kubuntu does
something similar with network device naming.)

--Michael Vrable