Re: [Xen-users] How to add iptables modules to Domu Kernel??

Anand Gupta wrote:

> I am using xen 3.0.2 stable and iptables is compiled as module.
>
> Inside domU, i tried the following
>
> -bash-3.00# modprobe iptable_filter
> ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
> -bash-3.00# modprobe iptable_raw
> -bash-3.00# modprobe iptable_nat
> Netfilter messages via NETLINK v0.30.
> ip_conntrack version 2.4 (1056 buckets, 8448 max) - 312 bytes per
> conntrack
> -bash-3.00# modprobe iptable_mangle
>
> Now if i try to load iptables rpm, and run iptables -L, i get the
> following
>
> iptables v1.2.11: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Module is
> wrong version
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
>
> Any ideas on how to solve it ?
>
> On 5/27/06, *Sadique* <sadique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:sadique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     I am not sure whether iptables module is compiled into the Dom-U
>     kernel
>     by default in xen binary packages.
>     The best option for you should be to complie xen kernel from
>     source and
>     add iptables support statically to the kernel.
>
>     make menuconfig
>     Networking  ---> Networking options  --->  Network packet filtering
>     (replaces ipchains)  --->  Core Netfilter
>     Configuration  --->  Netfilter
>     Xtables support (required for ip_tables) and do enable all modules
>     included in that as per your need.
>     Then go to - Networking  ---> Networking options  --->  Network packet
>     filtering (replaces ipchains)  ---> IP: Netfilter Configuration  --->
>     IP tables support (required for filtering/masq/NAT)
>
>     You can only go to the second step after doing the first one.
>

>     It's best you add the iptables support statically into the kernel
>     rather than enabling it as a module. Why? If you compile it as a
>     module you need to copy the module to every Dom-U manually.
>
>     Thanks
>     Sadique
>
>     miguel c wrote:
>
>     > Hi, I'm running xen 2.0 in a Fedora Core 3 distro. My problem is
>     that
>     > I want to configure a virtual machine so that works as a
>     > firewall/router. So, I need iptables working on this one.
>     > Unfortunately I must have some modules loaded such as ip_tables,
>     > iptables_nat, etc.
>     > Where can I do this without making mad trying it?
>     > Thank you  very much
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Xen-users mailing list
>     > Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>     > http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
>     >
>     >

> --
> regards,
>
> Anand Gupta

Did you copy the modules from /lib/modules/lib/modules/2.6.16-xenU or
from the source/dist ...  of Dom-0  to the /lib/modules/2.6.16-xenU of
Dom-U? You should do that for all dom-U's or this should be added to the
default template.

I have always compiled iptables support statically to the Dom-U kernel
and iptables works fine for me. Have not yet tested as a module.

--
Sadique PP
Sr. System Administrator

Mobile: +919895643639