From: Michael Walker [mailto:Michael.Walker@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 10:43 AM
To: Turk, JohnX
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Krig, Steve B
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Windows 2003 Guest on Xen?

Yes - I (finally) got this going a couple of days ago.

The 'trick' I found was from the following post:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-06/msg00208.html

In that posting is the following little tidbit:

> Here is a method how to  install guest Windows XP (using you patch) by
> telling Windows what kind of platform at Windows setup (this is true for
> Win2k, 2003 and XP):
>
> After passing the 1st screen of windows setup of install XP, the first
> thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the option to press F6
> if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller. Don't press F6. Press
> F5 instead. This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware
> Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL .The choices
> are:
>
> ACPI Multiprocessor PC
> ACPI Uniprocessor PC
> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
> Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC
> MPS Uniprocessor PC
> MPS Multiprocessor PC
> Standard PC
> Standard PC with C-Step i486
> Other
>
> Select "Standard PC". This will allow the installation to complete in
> about 20 minutes.

Once I found out about the secret handshake of pressing 'F5' and selecting
a HAL - both WindowsXP & Windows2003 installed without a problem.

I still have some issues with the vnc/mouse support for the console,
but using 'rdesktop' to connect to the booted machine nicely
get's around that.

I hope to post a report of my progress to the alias in the next day
or two in the hopes of helping others in the future.

Good Luck,
   _Mike_