Re: [Xen-users] Bridge vs. Route configuration?

NAHieu wrote:
> In Xen, by default the domains are configured to use bridge (with
> network-bridge script). But there is network-route, and this option
> also allows us to connect domains.
>
> But I don't see what is the advantage of Route config over Bridge. In
> which case we should use Route method instead?

network-route script pros:
- complete control of network traffic from each domU
- bridge-utils not needed

network-route cons:
- dom0 must become router for all domUs.
- harder to isolate dom0
- wastes IP addresses
- xen script ip addressing and routing can be difficult to understand

network-bridge pros:
- easier concepts to understand
- all domUs can utilize existing LAN DHCP services to obtain address
- allows user the flexibility to create additional, isolate vlan
internal infrastructure that only the domUs can access.
- dom0 can be totally isolated, or just protect itself with firewall sw

network-bridge cons:
- dom0 still involved in handling all domU packets, via bridge-utils,
instead of routing stack.  firewall sw must be xen aware
- harder to firewall each domU from each other, each domU has to protect
itself