Re: [Xen-users] Cloning VM's

On Tuesday 13 June 2006 09:21, Jose Betancourt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for different ways of "cloning" a domU once it has been
> successfully created.  On SUSE Linux, I have already used AutoYast and
> combined it with the VM creation process through Yast and I can build
> another machine that way.
>
> I was wondering if there are other "quick and dirty" ways to replicate
> the environments.  I don't think the quick dd will work 100% since
> although I can change the ip and hostname information on the definition
> file and the vm itself, I'm not able to change the underlying MAC.
>
> Any thoughts, ideas, etc?

I use a script that creates LVM partitions for the root and swap
partitions, then untars a debootstrap created image to it. Of
course it makes the filesystems and mounts them first. It also
creates a default config file. From executing the command to
logging in takes about a minute. I could modify the script to
change the hostname and other settings but I don't create enough
VMs to make it worthwhile.  The install has shorewall firewall
preinstalled. If I want to modify the tar'ed version I just untar
it, chroot to it and update packages or whatever, then tar it
back up. It is easy with Debian.

David