RE: [Xen-users] Vista B2

  • To: "Haw-Yuan Yang" <hawyuan@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:55:13 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 02:56:09 -0700

It's not on the current list of AMD testing images - we're mostly looking at already released OS's.

As to what Intel does, I obviously can't comment - although I would expect that they have a similar philosophy.

In theory, there's little reason why it should be a problem running Vista, but practice may show a difference.

Of course, VT has an further disadvantage of not supporting Real-mode execution (they don't have Paged Real-mode, which the AMD SVM processor has, which allows us to fake the processor/OS to believe it's running in real-mode at address 0..1M, whilst in actual fact the page-table maintained by the hypervisor is mapping this (virtual) address range to somewhere else in physical memory - this is a great help to avoid having to emulate strange variants of instructions that may appear in the boot-loader and emulating things like "big real-mode").

--
Mats