RE: [Xen-users] Windows XP, Drivers & Xen

  • To: "Jens Gassmann" <jens.gassmann@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 23:14:28 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 14:15:58 -0700

No, that's not how it works - all PCI[e] (and AGP, which is just a
PCI-bus on steroids) slots are able to access all memory in the system,
and they need to be told exactly which physical address - a physical
address that we've lied to the OS about, so the OS doesn't actually know
the REAL physical address...

What you describe is an IOMMU implementation, where the address
generated by the card is translated to another physical address. But we
have yet to see (desktop) machines with IOMMU implemented in them.

> If this possible? Today two cards are cheap. Maybe we could
> simple patch
> the main System to reroute the access?

Yeah, right - you go wire the hardware different ;-)

--
Mats