RE: [Xen-users] Xen with NUMA and MCE

From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jens.Oberender@xxxxxx
Sent: 26 July 2006 13:20
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen with NUMA and MCE

Hello

I want to use xen on a dual core dual Opteron (sum of 4 cores) server.
When I activate xen in the kernel Numa and MCE are deactivated.
Why that? Isn't Numa needed on every SMP Opteron system?
MCE would be good for monitoring hardwareproblems so that component would also be nice to have.
Is there a way I can use both on that server? New xen release? Newer kernel?

Numa isn't NECESSARY - it improves performance somewhat (particularly in cases where a process has affinity set to stay on one processor). However, NUMA-support in the Xen kernel isn't ready for production yet - there was some patches posted to the list a week or so ago, but I don't know if they went in or not. Since the Xen hypervisor don't have a way to track which memory belongs to which processor, having NUMA enabled in the kernel will not help at all, so it's turned off.

As to MCE, I can't really say...

--
Mats

Best regards