Re: [Xen-users] Error: Device 769 (vbd) could not be connected...Limit of 25 domains. SOLVED.

Hallo,

thanks for your suggestion.

On Thursday 20 July 2006 18:15, you wrote:
> This is a known issue.
> It has been fixed in xen unstable.
> The problem is loop device is not leased after the guest destroyed.
> If execute "losetup -d /dev/loopX" in domain0, the problem will be solved
> temporarily.

Since I have 255 loopback devices installed in my system, I am not running
out of loopback devices (because this limitation also occures when starting
the domUs for the first time).

However, after some testing I manage the handling of the loopback devices on
my own now and pass each loopback device (physical device) to Xen rather than
the image file (file backed vbd):

        for ((i=10; i < 130; i++)); do
            loop_device=$(losetup -f)
            losetup $loop_device /xen-images/guestdom1.img
            xm create /etc/xen/guestdoms \
                    name="guestdom$i" \
                    dev="phy:$loop_device,sda1,ro"
        done

This works well and it does not end up in the error message. Of course, I also
have to take care of detaching the image from each loopback device after the
guest shut down.

Using this method I am able to create up to 111 concurrent running domUs,
afterwards I get the error message "Error: (12, 'Cannot allocate memory')".
This is a known limitation caused by Xen's internal heap of 16 MB
(http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-04/msg00321.html).

I just wonder, why I get a problem using the file backed vbds, but why I
don't run into this problem using the physical device. I thought that Xen
internally also attaches the image file to a free loopback device. If this
was the case, then why can Xen create so many domUs when physical devices are
passed to it, but has a problem with using file backed vbd? Any ideas for
this?

By the way, I also found out that Xen will create a guest faster when passing
the physical device to it than just passing the image file.

Thanks,
Thomas