Re: [Xen-users] xen, xen0 and xenU

Hallo,

On Friday 28 July 2006 00:09, Morten W. Petersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm building a Xen system and was wondering a bit about the various
> kernel types.  If I build a 2.6.16.13-xen kernel, will that work for the
> privileged as well as the unprivileged domains?

Yes.

> Are there any benefits of building and using xen0/xenU kernels instead?

In most cases you don't have to include all device drivers in the xenU
kernel (because dom0 handles the devices). This may result in a smaller
kernel and a better performance of the unprivileged system (don't mention
the smaller size of required RAM).

Depending on what you want to do with your domUs you can omit not required
kernel features or can add required ones. To make it short, you can adapt the
kernel for your domU which is very helpful for some tasks.

Thomas