Re: [Xen-users] XEN reboot issue

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Girish Mani" <girish.mani@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 11:04:01 +0530
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:34:44 -0700

Hi,

Thanks that worked. Basically I downloaded the source from the website, compiled it against my kernel separately. I executed a "depmod" before making the initrd. I added this entry to the grub.conf file and I moved a step forward.

When I try to reboot my machine and try to load through XEN, I get the following errors:
<<<<<<<<
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: no such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: no such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: no such file or directory
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill Init:

I came across a similar problem in the "xen-users" list. But that does not talk about any resolution.

Can you help me in this regard?

Thanks,

On 8/1/06, David F Barrera <dfbp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Girish Mani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed XEN in my Fedora Linux machine and have the following
> entries in the /boot/grub/grub.conf file:
> <<<<<<<
> title Fedora Core ( 2.6.17.3 <http://2.6.17.3>)
>         root (hd0,4)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.17.3 < http://2.6.17.3> ro
> root=/dev/vol/root rhgb quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.17.3.img
> title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
>         root (hd0,4)
>         kernel /xen-3.0.gz dom0_mem=262144
>         module /vmlinuz-2.6-xen root=/dev/sda5 ro console=tty0

You need to create an initrd and add a line to the Xen grub entry:
        module /initrd-xen.img

To make an initrd, do something like this:

mkinitrd -v -f initrd-xen.img 2.6.16.13-xen

Also, make sure the device drivers you need (e.g. SCSI) are included/
> I have the following concerns:
> 1. Can someone the value that should go in the "root" field of the
> "module" parameter? What value should this contain. Is it the "root
> path" from where the current OS is loading (or) "boot path" from where
> the current OS is loading?
> 2. When I reboot the machine and try loading XEN, the "VFS failure"
> error occurs. I understand this is because of the wrong value in the
> "root" field.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Regards,

David F Barrera
Linux Technology Center
Systems and Technology Group, IBM

"The wisest men follow their own direction. "

                          Euripides