From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Gabriel Rossetti
Sent: 31 July 2006 23:09
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Intel VT dom0?

Hello,

I don't seem to be able to find any info on how to use Intel's VT cpu
with XEN.
Can I create a dom0 without having to recompile a
Xen-enabled-linux-kernel? If so, how,
where is the info? and then for domUs, how is that done?
Also, can I use
Freebsd as a dom0 with an
Intel VT version of Xen? (yes, I'm not trying to install
windows ;-)) I
don't want to have a linux
dom0 to control my FreeBSD domUs, and since I have an Intel VT CPU,
might as well use it, no?
I would really rather not patch my kernel...

No, this doesn't work: Dom0 (at the moment anyways) has to be
para-virtualized, since it's the domain that has access to the hardware,
and something needs to have REAL hardware access. All hardware (disk,
network, display, etc) in HVM (VT/SVM) domains are done through the
device model (qemu-dm), which collects the information on what the
device access amounts to (say a disk read, which is some 4-6 IO writes)
it's gathered up into a packet and processed as a regular file-read, and
then a fake interrupt is sent back to the guest, which then releases the
blocked thread and 256 IO read operation is done.

--
Mats

Thanks,
Gabriel

PS,
I tried this url :
http://xen.cosi.clarkson.edu/documentation/xen-tutorial.html
because people on this list pointed to it a lot and it seams dead...