[Xen-users] Xen 64 bit questions and problems

First off, here's my system:

Tyan K8WE (S2877)
2 x Dual core Opterons
2 x 300GB SATA drives in RAID1 + LVM
12GB RAM
CentOS 64-bit
Xen 64-bit

Got a bunch of problems. Compiled a dom0 using the source, set the dom0_mem to 64MB, wouldn't boot. Craps out saying it had run out of low memory. Increased it to 128MB. Then it boots, but when I try to create logical volumes, it kills my ssh session. Increased it yet again to 256MB, then LVM stuff works and finally seems operational.

I create a domU and it seems to boot fine, but it won't shut down or reboot!!. I have to force a shutdown from dom0, using either 'xm destroy' or 'xm shutdown'.

Then I try to configure the ethernet in domU - editing ifcfg-eth0 - and I try to restart the network using '/etc/init.d/network restart' and it then complains with this:

[root@arimanes ~]# /etc/init.d/network restart
Shutting down interface eth0:  execvp: Permission denied
[FAILED]
Shutting down loopback interface:  execvp: Permission denied
[FAILED]
Setting network parameters:  [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:  execvp: Permission denied
[FAILED]
Bringing up interface eth0:  execvp: Permission denied
[FAILED]

First of all, does 64 bit systems in general need much more memory than the 32-bit counterpart? Or is this just Xen 64-bit in particular? On my 32-bit system with Xen 32-bit, dom0 there is happily humming away with just 64MB and gives me zero problems.

Second, this system SHOULD be faster than the 32-bit system (Dell 1850 w/ 2x dual core xeon 2.8, 2GB RAM, 2 x 73GB U320 SCSI drives), but it feels awfully slow. Is this a 64-bit thing or did I screw up bad somewhere? Is there some AMD64 optimization I should have done?

Any info on 64-bit Linux, Opterons and Xen 64 would be most gratefully appreciated. Thanks!