Re: [Xen-users] Re: dual boot windows

On Friday 11 August 2006 10:52, Jonathan Ervine wrote:
> It only needed a second activation - one for the physical instance and one
> for the virtual instance. Having the Hardware Profiles set up helped to
> reduce Windows constantly trying to activate itself I think. You can always
> choose not to activate Windows until you're happy you've got it working of
> course.

Knew there was something I'd forgotten about my experiences with VMware. In
order to boot Windows virtually I needed to make the Linux root partition (I
hadn't separately partitioned /boot) available to the virtual environment so
that the grub menu could be picked up and I could then pick Windows as the OS
to load.

I'm pretty sure Ubuntu will be the same as SUSE in this respect. It's a *very
bad* thing if you boot your host OS (in VMware; Dom0 in XEN) as a virtual
machine and forget to change the OS to load to be Windows. I trashed my
laptop once by forgetting to select Windows and having my Linux host try to
boot the same copy via VMware. I was rebuilding the whole thing within 15
minutes...

Jon