Re: [Xen-users] /lib/tls.disabled or xen-friendly glibc?

Hi,

 > > until now I have run Xen with /lib/tls out of the way for both dom0 and
 > > domU's,
 > > but now I'm trying to install OpenLDAP in a domU, which requires TLS as
 > > default. So now I have at least three options ahead of me:
 >
 > I doubt, those two TLSs are the same:
 >
 >  TLS[OpenLDAP]: Transport Layer Security
 >  TLS[!XEN]: Transaction Local Storage
 >
 > You can safely compile openldap with tls.

Ah, OK, I got confused about this (never compiled OpenLDAP before). So I guess
from my original post then I only get the first and the third options left
(i.e. either to restore /lib/tls or to get a xen-friendly glibc). The first
option works OK (as can seen below), but I guess the customary warning on
performance. I will try a xen-friendly glibc as well, but I wonder if anyone can
shed some light on what the performance hit will be?

Thanks a lot,
Angel de Vicente

----------

-bash-3.00# /usr/sbin/slapd -d 4
@(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.2.13 (Oct 18 2005 10:08:34) $

buildcentos@x8664-build:/home/buildcentos/rpmbuild/BUILD/openldap-2.2.13/openldap-2.2.13/build-servers/servers/slapd
daemon_init: <null>
daemon: IPv6 socket() failed errno=97 (Address family not supported by protocol)
bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December  3, 2003)
bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December  3, 2003)
bdb_db_init: Initializing BDB database
bdb_db_open: dc=my-domain,dc=com
bdb(dc=my-domain,dc=com): unable to initialize mutex: Function not implemented
bdb(dc=my-domain,dc=com): /var/lib/ldap/__db.001: unable to initialize
environment lock: Function not implemented
bdb_db_open: dbenv_open failed: Function not implemented (38)
backend_startup: bi_db_open(0) failed! (38)
bdb(dc=my-domain,dc=com): DB_ENV->lock_id_free interface requires an
environment configured for the locking subsystem
bdb(dc=my-domain,dc=com): txn_checkpoint interface requires an environment
configured for the transaction subsystem
bdb_db_destroy: txn_checkpoint failed: Invalid argument (22)
slapd stopped.
connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

-bash-3.00# mv /lib/tls.disabled /lib/tls

-bash-3.00# /usr/sbin/slapd -d 4

  ** WARNING: Currently emulating unsupported memory accesses  **
  **          in /lib/tls glibc libraries. The emulation is    **
  **          slow. To ensure full performance you should      **
  **          install a 'xen-friendly' (nosegneg) version of   **
  **          the library, or disable tls support by executing **
  **          the following as root:                           **
  **          mv /lib/tls /lib/tls.disabled                    **
  ** Offending process: slapd (pid=2477)                       **

Continuing...

@(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.2.13 (Oct 18 2005 10:08:34) $

buildcentos@x8664-build:/home/buildcentos/rpmbuild/BUILD/openldap-2.2.13/openldap-2.2.13/build-servers/servers/slapd
daemon_init: <null>
daemon: IPv6 socket() failed errno=97 (Address family not supported by protocol)
bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December  3, 2003)
bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December  3, 2003)
bdb_db_init: Initializing BDB database
bdb_db_open: dc=my-domain,dc=com
slapd starting