Re: [Xen-users] Differences in performance between file and LVM based images

Hi Tom,

I'll CC this back to xen-users.

nice job. Only thing which I think is missing are the numbers that would allow one to make guesses at percentages of CPU used... yes 16 to 52 seconds of CPU time is significant, and _very significant_ if the test completed in 2 or 3 minutes... but far less significant if it took 20 or 30 minutes.

It depends. The test was on a slow harddisk, so the test may take a time. But it shows the overhead of loop back files. If the disk would be 4 times faster (no problem with a disk build in this millennium), the test would be finished in 1/4 of the time. But the CPU time needed to finish the test would be the same.

None the less I repeated the LVM test once more for you:

Start: Sat Aug 26 21:32:49 UTC 2006
Ended: Sat Aug 26 21:40:41 UTC 2006

cu cp