[Xen-users] VT 64bit kernel with >4Gb RAM

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Guillaume Lenoir" <glenoir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:12:33 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:13:31 -0700

    Hi there,

I have the lucky task to setup a Xen system.
my plateform is a dell 2950 with 16Gb of RAM.

I got as far as setting up debian sarge and xen following
and overcoming some specific difficulties
(http://kmuto.jp/b.cgi/debian/d-i-2615.htm &
http://wiki.ncsa.uiuc.edu/wiki/Dell_PE1950_NIC_Firmware_Workaround)

But, my concern now, while I'm struglling to setup my 1rst VM, is that I
don't see all the RAM.
Still I 'm using both dual cores as cat /proc/cpuinfo lists 4 processors

>From my understanding, if I had a 64bit kernel I'd see them (pae beeing
only for 32bit systems, right ?)
And I'm guessing if I want to VMise 64bit OSes, I'll need it.

So :
Is there a debian prepackaged kernel that'd do the trick, or do I have
to compile my own ?
In the afirmative, what patch should I apply and where is that friendly
64bit option ?
Is there something else I'm missing ?

Thanks,
GdL.