Re: [Xen-users] Dom-U config: whats the role of vif - IP

This is really a big issue for people such as web hosting providers who
will be giving 'untrusted' root access to dom-u's to the general public.

VPS servers are a very popular choice for those who purchase hosting
services with less than honorable intentions.

Since many do setup their networks for ease of administration (meaning,
whatever dom-u broadcasts an IP on a subnet that knows about it, owns
it) this allows one dom-u to 'hijack' the IP of another and use it for
abusive activity, intercept traffic, etc.

If you have only 'trusted' root users on your dom-u's and don't run
insecure public services from them, its pretty safe to just leave things
easy and do your networking at the dom-u end.

Depending on the quality of the network feeding your bridges (if using
them), you may find it handy to specify a mac address in both the xen
configuration and dom-u network init scripts.

So there really isn't a right or wrong answer.. other than be sure
allowing dom-u's to bring up their own IP's fits your security model :)

HTH,
-Tim