Re: [Xen-users] Partition DomU Filesystem

Michael Morris wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to create multiple partitions within my DomU so that user data can't fill up my space for logs. I haven't found anything I could use on Google, which made me think I needed to partition my DomU in a "standard" way. I tried this without any success. I don't really know much about partitioning except for what I do the first time I boot up my machine and configure it. I would really appreciate any suggestions for how to partition my DomU.

I've noticed that the documentation over at XenSource doesn't cover this very clearly. (They show the example for exporting a single partition to the DomU, but not how to do multiple partitions.)

What I do is create LVM logical volumes (lvcreate) in my primary volume group on the machine (LVM management happens in Dom0). Then I give those to the DomU as /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, /dev/sda3 which can be mapped inside the DomU's fstab to the proper folders.

The sordid details:

(2) 160GB drives in software RAID1 (mdadm managed inside the Dom0 domain), the 5th partition is ~132GB and is a large LVM area that I chop into smaller bits using lvcreate for individual DomUs. My LVM volume group is called "vgmirror", with logical volumes called "fw1root" and "fw1logs". Which gives me:

/dev/vgmirror/fw1root (4GB)
/dev/vgmirror/fw1logs (4GB)

Looking at my /etc/xen/domu-fw1 file:

disk = [ 'phy:vgmirror/fw1root,sda1,w', 'phy:vgmirror/fw1logs,sda2,w' ]

Which exports it to the DomU as sda1 and sda2.

Hopefully that helps. The DomU thinks that it's running on a non-RAID SATA drive with 2 partitions.