Re: [Xen-users] Partition DomU Filesystem

Michael Morris <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 09/28/2006 11:34:43 AM:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create multiple partitions within my DomU so that user
> data can't fill up my space for logs.  I haven't found anything I could
> use on Google, which made me think I needed to partition my DomU in a
> "standard" way.  I tried this without any success.  I don't really know
> much about partitioning except for what I do the first time I boot up my
> machine and configure it.  I would really appreciate any suggestions for
> how to partition my DomU.

I have recently been playing with the Xen support (3.0.2) in SuSE Linux
Enterprise Server 10.  Their user interface for creating a domain makes you
specify a file or block device that will be used as a whole disk, e.g.,
hda, in the domain.  That disk is then partitioned when the OS is installed
in the domain.  Here is the "disk=" line in the domain's configuration
file:
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vbd-backend/dom1,hda,w',
'phy:/dev/vbd-backend/usr,hdb,w', 'phy:/dev/sdb,hdd,w' ]

/dev/vbd-backend/dom1 is an LVM device to hold the root file system.
During the installation I made one partition, /dev/hda1, to be mounted as
/.

/dev/vbd-backend/usr is an LVM device to hold the contents of /usr so that
it can be shared read-only between multiple domains.  (I'm doing
performance testing rather than real world system setup, so saving disk
space is important.)  During the installation I made one partition,
/dev/hdb1, to be mounted as /usr.

/dev/sdb is used as a test disk device in the domain.

All that is to say that apparently you can use whole disks that can be
partitioned rather than having to use partitions.  I am assuming that this
functionality is in the current xen-unstable and it's not just a 3.0.2
thing nor is it a function that was patched in by SuSE.

Is this the kind of thing you were looking for?

HTH,
Steve D.