Re: [Xen-users] Xen + Windows + Intel VT-x stability

On Thursday 28 September 2006 5:12 pm, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:
> noniko wrote:
> > Thanks for your suggestion and encouragement. Yes, I often give a
> > contribution to openSUSE wiki, so I would report about it there soon.
> > I'm thinking about installing  XP's English version and take
> > screenshots, because the current virtual XP is Japanese version and
> > its screenshots would not be fully understood so many people...
>
> Thank, you. I'm currently running openSUSE 10.1 (and 10.2 alpha4) and
> WinXP in multiboot on a Dell Xeon based workstation, and I will
> therefore be curious to read your openSUSE wiki howto. If possible start
> to show how to verify with the Xen CD that the hardware is VT enabled.
> Hope that you also post a link on this list as a reminder to the wiki
> when it's ready.

For HVM, I'd recommend 10.2.alpha4.

If you open Yast, and go to the "System" then "Virtual Machine Management
(Xen)" it will take you through the process of installing a guest. For
Windows, you will want to select "Full Virtualization."

To see if full virtualization is supported, do an "xm dmesg" and grep
according to processor:

AMD: Look for "SVM"

Intel: Look for "VMX" (I think. The only indication on my core 2 duo
is "VMXMON is done")

I have had WinXP running on both AMD and Intel processors.

--
James Oakley
Engineering - SolutionInc Ltd.