Re: [Xen-users] can't get network access from windows hvm

Hi,

that is pretty easy - meaning that it took me only 30mins spent on tearing my hair out - comparing to other problems with xen this is nothing :-)

solution:
if you look at /var/log/qemu-dm.XXXX.log, then you will probably see sth like that:
"warning: could not open /dev/net/tun: no virtual network emulation"

so now, either you are recompiling the xen kernel, or just:

# modprobe tun

enjoy! and i hope it spares some time for the others ;-)

Rgds,
Bogdan

>Hello everyone,

>I have been able to get windows xp to run under a virtual machine, but i cannot get any network access.
>My desktop is connected to a
      university network, and we are only given 1 ip address. so i
      understand i have to use >routing instead of bridging, right?

>i have commented the two lines for
      bridge and enabled routing in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp
>next i inserted a line:
>
>vif    = [ 'ip=192.168.0.2,type=ioemu' ]
>into my /etc/xen/vm/woesxp file,
>next i started the vm, and set the network settings in windows to be
>ip: 192.168.0.2
>mask: 255.255.255.0
>gateway: 192.168.0.1
>

>the problem is I cannot ping each other, ie both from linux and from windows, I get something like host unreachable.
>I have tried reading up about the
      networking in xen, and also tried googling xen routing, but i see
      the bridging >technique is the one mostly discussed.
>is there a way of solving my
      problem using bridging then? what i need is to ping each other
      (so that I can setup a samba >share to share files, and also
      to rdesktop into the windows) and for the windows vm to access
      the internet
>does anyone know of a good link
      that could help me, or any advice about which way i should go?