Re: [Xen-users] e1000: probe of 0000:00:00.0 failed with error -5

Mike Wright wrote:
Have you tried adding this line do a domU's modprobe.conf?

  "alias eth0 xennet"

Tried that now, doesn't seem to have any effect. Whenever the "e1000" module loads (either automatically when the DomU starts or when I rmmod/modprobe it after changing the alias line) I'm still seeing the probe-failed message.

I've even added in (2) 56k modems, passed in via pciback/pcifront and they're showing up fine in the lspci output. Which I think is more evidence that pciback is working properly.

At this point, I'm considering configuring the Dom0 to grab the Intel NICs, bond them, and put them on a 2nd bridge (xenbr1) before passing them as a vif to the DomU. The performance hit shouldn't be too bad since it's only a T1 line on the external side of the Intel NICs and this is a dual-core AM2 CPU.

The open question for that solution is whether it's better to bond NICs in Dom0 or pass them in via pciback/pcifront and let the DomU do the bonding. If I need to bond in DomU, then I have to get the e1000 driver working with pciback/pcifront.

(There was a really old thread where someone ran into this issue, but the mailing list archives don't give enough information to solve the issue. Nor do the follow-up posts give enough of a pointer as to where to find the solution information.)