RE: [Xen-users] Installing SuSE 10.1/10.2 from yast

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Marlier, Ian" <ian.marlier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:26:23 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 06:27:07 -0700

I'm not running SLES -- just plain ol' regular SUSE -- but my
observations of the way that the installation system works would suggest
that it's not going to be easy...

To wit: The YaST module appears to do the following steps to create the
install system for the new Xen machine:
- Grab the kernel-xen RPM from the _machine_ installation source.  (IE,
the install source that's configured for Dom0 -- an SLES source, in your
case)
- Use rpm2cpio to unpack the RPM into a directory under /tmp
- Use mkinstinitrd to create the installation ramdisk image, using the
just-unpacked kernel.
- Use that new ramdisk to load the installation system.

Because there's no way to tell it what kernel image to use, I think you
might be stuck with the one that's RPMd in the SLES install source...

That said -- if you (or anyone else!) finds a way to make YaST use a
different kernel, I would LOVE to know about it!  The kernel-xen RPM's
kernel doesn't have NFS support compiled in (it's a module), which makes
nfsroot installation through the GUI effectively impossible...

- Ian