Re: [Xen-users] Installing SuSE 10.1/10.2 from yast

  Hi,

> To wit: The YaST module appears to do the following steps to create the
> install system for the new Xen machine:
> - Grab the kernel-xen RPM from the _machine_ installation source.  (IE,
> the install source that's configured for Dom0 -- an SLES source, in your
> case)

Also grab install-initrd.rpm ...

> - Use rpm2cpio to unpack the RPM into a directory under /tmp
> - Use mkinstinitrd to create the installation ramdisk image, using the
> just-unpacked kernel.

mkinstinitrd is in install-initrd.rpm.  It has a --help switch ;)

It basically adds the kernel modules to the pre-prepared install initrd.
 That allows to use any modular kernel for installation.

> - Use that new ramdisk to load the installation system.

> Because there's no way to tell it what kernel image to use, I think you
> might be stuck with the one that's RPMd in the SLES install source...

You can't ask the yast2-xen module to do that.  But kicking the
installation manually is easy once you have the kernel and the initrd:

xm create -c -f /path/to/domU/config/file \
  kernel=/your/kernel \
  ramdisk=/initrd/created/by/mkinstinitrd \
  extra="install=http://your.mirror/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/";

You might want to add "vnc=1 vncpassword=your&secret&here" or
"textmode=1" to the kernel command line.

cheers,

  Gerd

--
Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>