Re: [Xen-users] time synchronization problem (using NTP)

Ulrich Windl wrote:
Hi,

using SLES10 I'm unable to synchronize the time of DomU with that of Dom0. There is a persistent offset of about 3 seconds!

(laughs) I just happen to be working on this myself. All of my DomUs are about 15 seconds fast compared to the Dom0 and I've been searching the archives to figure out why this happens.

According to the wiki:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/InstallationNotes

xenU services

The following services are not needed anymore:

* ntpd

the xenU uses the dom0 time

If you want to run ntp in the domU, try: echo 1 > /proc/sys/xen/independent_wallclock

But if I look through news.gmane.org's archive of xen-users (gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user), there's conflicting advice given back in April 2006 (and Nov 2005... and May 2005).

One camp says that we should run ntpd in Dom0, leave independent_wallclock set to zero and the DomUs should take their time from Dom0 and stay in sync.

The other camp says that we should set independent_wallclock to 1 and run ntpd within the DomUs.