RE: [Xen-users] what is behind "make world"

  • To: "octane indice" <octane@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:35:22 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:39:13 -0700

Both are the same - vmlinux-syms is just not stripped of symbol
information, and thus larger.

A while back, Xen stopped producing a separate Dom0/DomU kernel, and
just produce a combined "one-kernel-fits-all" file. This makes sense if
you use modules, but if you use a "monolithic" kernel with all the
driver built-in, it makes the kernel a bit bigger, so may be a cause for
concern if you want to minimize the foot-print of the kernel.

> -How can choose which part I want to make?
> I want to build the xen.gz binary. How can I? Is it related
> to the kernel
> source tree?

That is built in the .../xen directory, which is a the same levels as
your linux-2.6.16.13-xen directory. It will end up in the
dist/install/boot directory together with the vmlinuz-<ver>-xen kernel
that you need to install into the /boot directory. ["make install" will
do this for you if you install and build on the same machine]

> -How can I modify the kernel options?
> should I modify the buildconfigs/linux-defconfig_xenU_ia64 or so?
> In documentation, I saw the line:
> make linux-2.6-xen-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig
> but is it for the xenO? xenU?

As described above, it applies to both, because you use the same kernel.

> -the appendix A in user.pdf docs talks about the intelVT
> technology. I have
> a Xeon CPU with VT technology. The documentation says that I
> have to build
> Xen with VT support. For that I need dev86, libvncserver,
> SDL-dev and SDL.
> OK, I got them. Then what? I type make world and Makefile
> will automagically
> detect VT and build it with VT support or should I do something else?

Yes, the HVM support is builtin to Xen at all times.