RE: [Xen-users] Yet another backup proposal (file based vbd's & lvm)

Hi Ken,

> I'll definitely look into this setup. I was trying to avoid LVM two
> reasons (Roger, this one's for you), the apparent snapshot issue that
> everyone seems to complain about throughout the list and the issue of
> live migrations between hosts. But this is only using LVM as a backend
> for the domU's. I use LVM on the NAS with ext3 for the ability to grow
> my partitions as needed and resize the ext3 fs on top of the volumes,
> and it works beautifully.
>
> Luke, I'll setup a test server here using read-only LVM snapshots and
> keep on backing them up to see if I get the lockups that the previous
> posts in the archive (and the kernel archives) mention. I'll report my
> successes here when I'm done.

If you are going to try LVM, I strongly recommend that you download the latest
LVM code from RedHat and recompile it for your
system...

        http://sources.redhat.com/dm/
        http://sourceware.org/lvm2/

As you say, there have been lockup problems with LVM snapshots in the past, but
these have been fixed in the recent releases.  We
are running Xen-3.0.2-2 on this server with the following:

root@hydra:~# uname -a
Linux hydra 2.6.16-xen #1 SMP Thu Apr 13 18:46:07 BST 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
root@hydra:~# lvm version
  LVM version:     2.02.07 (2006-07-17)
  Library version: 1.02.08 (2006-07-17)
  Driver version:  4.5.0
root@hydra:~#

So far, no LVM or Xen problems at all with an uptime of several months.  We use
LVM snapshots daily both within the Dom-0 and also
within the Dom-Us (which use LVM on top of the VBDs) to take backups.

BR,

Roger