Re: [Xen-users] Compile error 3.0.3 - vnc.c auf Debian Sarge

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 17:52 +0200, bigfoot29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:
> Hi... I don't get the current stable 3.0.3 compiled - he always breaks
> with the following error message:

Its just libx11-dev, apt/yum should pick up on the other packages [deps]
for it as well as the suggested packages and handle it for you.
xorg-x11-devel (I think) in yum land, not 100% sure as I'm not a huge
whitebox fan.

> Now there are 2 questions:
> 1) The system is a Celeron 700 - so I don't need the HVM things including
> vnc and sdl. Is there a way to disable these options?

I tried playing with that to make a "light" installer for 3.0.3. After
about 9 hours of messing up the makefile to the point that I realized
its just easier to allow the few vnc related tools to build, I abandoned
the idea. I strongly suggest not playing with the makefile if you're in
any kind of hurry :)

> 2) Why do I get this compile error? Looks like he can't find
> "X11/keysymdef.h" - but even a "locate X11" didn't show the files... I
> wonder why they are required by now - and not optional any more like they
> were with 3.0.2 :(

Enhancements from 3.0.2 wrt HVM guests and easier (more functional) vnc
access to them (in a nutshell). I read the changelogs like the
newspaper .. bold print method. I should probably read them more
carefully, there's just so much in and about Xen to absorb right now its
hard to keep up on every detail.

> Anyways... help appreciated... compiling times from approx. 8 hours with a
> clean tarball to start from are somewhat much :) - So I can't try that a
> million times ;) (thats why I didn't clean up after the failure mentioned
> above - shortens compile time to approx. a hour. - could that be the
> reason?)

The last time I watched and waited 8 hours for something to compile I
was working with the WWIV 3.x source code (yes, the dial up BBS) after
it had been ported to C from Pascal on a 286 with 1MB of SIPP memory (4x
256 chips).

Even on my PIII HP Pavilion laptop with 128 MB of ram and ultra slow
Travelstar 10GB HD, Xen only takes a few hours if I shut off KDE unload
sound printer and other wasteful junk.

Do you have swap disabled on your machine, or something running hogging
resources? If its taking 8 hours on any close to modern machine
something is really wrong .. or you (like me) can't bear to throw out an
old computer :)

I lease a few low end p4's for testing / building that come with 2TB of
bandwidth and a 100 meg port uplink, really handy for tinkering if your
comfy working without console access. A major plus is being able to get
to your work / kernels / source from anywhere and get them with very
good speed. P4 3.2 / 2GB RAM / 2x 160 GB drives only costs me about a
hundred bucks a month .. well worth it. Just find a data center who
can / will rent you a KVM should you really need console access. Not
sure what 8 hours of your time is worth, but I'm guessing more than
$100 :)

> Regards, Bigfoot29

Best,
-Tim