[Xen-users] USB drive: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8, 1)

I have several xen domu's running in LVM partitions on the local hard
drive. I have added a USB drive and tried to boot a domu from it but
it failed. I assumed it was a SCSI device name conflict so I created
a LVM on the USB drive but there is still a kernel panic:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)

My config:

      1 name = "samba"
      2 kernel = "/boot/xen-linux-2.6.12.6-xen"
      3 root = "/dev/sda1 ro"
      4 memory = 128
      5 disk =
[
'phy:/dev/mapper/vgusb-guest.samba,sda1,w','phy:/dev/mapper/vgusb-guest.samba.swap,sda2,w'
 ]
      6 vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0', 'bridge=xenbr1' ]
      7 extra = "3"

What can I do to get a domu running from a USB drive?

I can indeed mount /dev/mapper/vgusb-guest.samba manually.

The internal hard drives are two SCSI software mirrored RAID1.

David