RE: [Xen-users] Getting frustrated with Xen

  • To: art.fore@xxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 17:28:07 +0200
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 08:29:05 -0700

> Well, another brick wall. I copied the following as a new entry
> on /boot/grob/menu.lst
>
> title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
>        kernel /boot/xen-3.0.gz console=vga
>        module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen root=<root-dev> ro console=tty0
>        module /boot/initrd-2.6-xen.img
>
> and modified it to:
>
> title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
>        kernel /boot/xen-3.0.gz console=vga
>        module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen root=/dev/sda2 ro console=tty0
>        module /boot/initrd-2.6-xen.img
>
> Reboot, and I get /boot/initrd-2.6-xen.img: no such file and sure
> enough, there is no such file.
>
> Tried the # depmod 2.6.16-xen that seemed to go OK.
> Tried the
> mkinitrd -v -f --with=aacraid --with=sd_mod --with=scsi_mod
> initrd-2.6.16-xen.img 2.6.16-xen
>
> and got -v no valid option, so check man mkinitrd and seen a
> -V option.
> Thinking a typographical error, changed the -v to -V. Then get
> unrecognized --. Only thing I could find that might fit was
> -m, so tried
> mkinitrd -V -f -m initrd-2.6.16-xen.img 2.6.16-xen
> No luck there either. So, how does this work? The instructions sure do
> not. (Actually the 2.6.16-zen does not make sense at all)

Unfortunately, different distributors have different options for
mkinitrd, so you'll have to do "man mkinitrd" and see what the options
are for manually forcing certain drivers into your initrd-file [assuming
you actually NEED to have aacraid, sd_mod and scsi_mod in your initrd -
you really shouldn't need to specify them manually in normal cases - but
if you know you need those, then it's a good idea to force them in there
just in case...].

On SuSE 9.x, you specify the moudles you want with -m, and -f, -v are
both "meaningless".
On FC4, -f means "force overwrite of initrd file", and -v means "print
verbose information". It also has the --with options. Note also that
mkinitrd is a shell-script, so whilst it may not be immediately obvious
what it does, you can "just read it", rather than binary files that you
have to find the source of.

I also think you should specify 2.6.16.29-xen, but maybe that's only
when you build from unstable? Check what your version is called in
/lib/modules/  - my machine has /lib/modules/2.6.16.29-xen and various
older ones. You need to specify exactly the right version of linux, even
if your initrd doesn't have that name in it...

--
Mats