RE: [Xen-users] Question about the AMD Vs. Intel debate...

  • To: "Doug" <xen-users-x@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 17:04:08 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 08:07:56 -0700

As you can see from my mail-address, I'm certainly biased...

However, wearing my patented "objective-tin-foil-hat" to make me a bit
more unbiased, I'll try to say this:
There is VERY LITTLE technical "external" differences between the AMD
and Intel virtualization technologies, so from that perspective one
isn't noticably better than the other.

So from a software architecture standpoint, the solutions to the
problems become very similar. This is why a large portion of the code
executed in the hypervisor for fully virtualized domains is 80-90% the
same, and most of the remaining 10-20% do the same thing in near enough
the same way, but because of the small differences that are between the
architectures, the code must be separate. When we started to introduce
the AMD architecture, we looked at doing a lower abstraction layer to
allow more code-sharing, but it turned out that it would both limit the
ability to use architectural differences, and it would cause some extra
code to be added in many places (calling a function to dig out one word
out of a memory location - and because it's a function-pointer, the code
could not be inlined either). So that idea was scrapped for a higher
abstraction layer that has more functionality in each function, which
means that a little bit more code is not in the shared files, but the
code is slightly faster and easier to follow (and it's possible to make
use of some of the arch. Differences that are in there).

So, as a conclusion, both companies offer a pretty equal product when it
comes to virtualization.

I would of course recommend that you buy AMD... ;-)

--
Mats