Re: [Xen-users] Question about the AMD Vs. Intel debate...

Doug wrote:
I'm looking at the sub $200 range (so the core 2 duo 6300 or the pentium D
940 or the athlon X2 4200 windosor core).

I wouldn't consider the Pentium D 940 to even be an option. There are the new low-wattage AMD X2s coming out soon for AM2.

Beyond that I doubt you're going to get any hard numbers. Word on the street is that for a particular price point, AMD vs Intel is pretty much a wash in terms of performance. At the upper-end, I think Intel currently has the lead, and it's a shame that AMD had to drop their prices to bring price/dollar back in line. (But I'm not gonna complain, no siree, I like $150 X2s!)

I've got a few test systems up an running on AMD X2 at the moment (Asus M2N-E motherboard) with 4GB of ECC DDR2, 4 750GB SATA drives + hotspare running in RAID10. Some systems are only RAID1 with 2 disks and a hot spare. And it's performed fairly well (as with all newer chipsets, Linux support can be a bit tricky).

I just wish the quad-core AM3 chips were out because another 2 cores would've been a good idea in those systems.