Re: [Xen-users] live migration storage options

  • To: "Chris Fanning" <christopher.fanning@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Chad Oleary" <oleary.chad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:32:43 -0500
  • Cc: Cristian Zamfir <zamf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:33:01 -0800

On 11/11/06, Chris Fanning <christopher.fanning@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

> I want to use live migration and as far as I know, for remote storage I
> can use GNBD, AoE, iSCSI and NFS among others. Which of these ones works
> best (or is easier to set up) with Xen?
I've been told you need a block device, not a mount point.

Chris.

> Is there any solution that can use my existing file images for domUs or
> do I have to install a domU on a partition of the remote storage server?
>
> Thank you.
> Cristian

you can do gndb exported from one host to the other. however, you need some sort of locking, redhat's cluster suite can take care of that... dlm and lvm2 (cluster version)

once you get clustered lvm setup, export one of your physical volumes to the other host via gndb. then you should see your clustered volumes present on both hosts. (the clustered volume being the domU's filesystem)

both hosts need to be on the same L2 subnet.. so not switch connected, rather a hub. Or you can do an ip-ip tunnel as well.

however, once you get all this setup, it's very unforgiving of errors. plus, you're always dependant on one host for storage... so, there's not a lot of point to it.

The "correct" way would be SAN, but then there's the $$$$ issue.

--Chad