[Xen-users] XP under Debian

Hello,

I want to give a short summary, how I finally got a W*n XP running under Debian/Xen yesterday.

* Installation of a xen hypervisor in a Debian GNU/Linux (sid) environment and booted by this grub menu-entry:
title Xen 3.0.3-1-i386 / Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-2-xen-686 /dev/sda10
root (hd0,9)
kernel /boot/xen-3.0.3-1-i386.gz
module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-2-xen-686 root=/dev/sda10 ro console=tty0
module          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-2-xen-686

* Creation of an empty loop-device, which later contains the OS-guest:

#cd /priv/xen/domains/xp1
#dd if=/dev/zero of=windisk.img bs=1k seek=4096k count=1
#dd if=/dev/zero of=windisk.img bs=1k count=1 conv=notrunc

* It seems to be impossible (really?) to install the guest via CDROM, so I first copied the complete Install-CD (its ISO-image) on my harddisk.

* Creation of an config file for the new virtual machine:
xp1-cd.cfg:
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 384
name = "xpdom"
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr1' ]
disk = [ 'file:/priv/xen/domains/xp1/windisk.img,ioemu:hda,w', 'file:/priv/burn/WIN_DE.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'destroy'
on_crash    = 'destroy'
device_model = '/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/bin/qemu-dm'
boot='d'
sdl=0
vnc=1
vncviewer=1
stdvga=0
serial='pty'
ne2000=0

The most important entries are the virtual cdrom-drive hdc and boot ='d' to boot the guest from it. Because sdl doesn't work on my machine, I used vnc=1.

* Start the installation with "xm create xp1-cd.cfg" and immediately connect to the vnc-server from another xterm with "vncviewer localhost". The XP-bootmenue appears.

* When XP tries to boot for the first time from Harddisk, the new domU shuts down. By changing the boot-order boot='d' to boot='c', the new installation is started from the virtual harddisk with "xm create xp1-cd.cfg". As before connect to it again with "vncviewer localhost".

* All network-settings of XP can be received from a remote dhcp-server. After creating an administrator account, XP is ready to use.

One little problem I haven't resolved yet. The mouse-cursor in the XP-Window is usable, but the "dot" and the "arrow" are not at the same position. I think this can be solved with some VNC-settings or Window-dimensions/resolution. If someone already had this issue or has an idea, i would be happy to hear.

Gruss,
Oliver

P.S. One debian-specific (known) bugfix is needed: A Softlink /etc/xen/qemu-ifup -> /etc/xen/scripts/qemu-ifup