[Xen-users] Few questions about Xen

  • To: <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Mindaugas" <mind@xxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:29:03 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:30:07 -0800

 Hello,

On the wait for RHEL5 we're considering to move some of our servers under Xen. So few questions appeared. :)

- how to "clone" domU server? With posibility to change IP address, turn off some services before start. - is it possible to allow domU server to access some specialized PCI card? E.g. some telco card or Dolphin SCI card for MySQL Cluster? - is there some advantages for running Linux/Linux combination on VT/Pacifica enabled CPUs? - what "part" of OS has the biggest performance hit running under Xen? Disk operations? Process scheduling? Network latency? Or something else?

In HP EVA best practices guide I read that for perfomance one have to create as few LUNs as possible. But if for every domU server I'll create separate LUN the number of LUNs will be quite high. Is it possible to reduce this number and still retain live migration capability and store domU server's data on SAN?

 Thanks,

 Mindaugas