Re: [Xen-users] Few questions about Xen

On Thursday 16 November 2006 12:29 am, Mindaugas wrote:
>   - is there some advantages for running Linux/Linux combination on
> VT/Pacifica enabled CPUs?

no, at least not yet.  :-)

>   - what "part" of OS has the biggest performance hit running under Xen?
> Disk operations? Process scheduling? Network latency? Or something else?

all IO is affected.  it's not a heavy burden on Dom0, but the domain switch
adds to the latency.  i guess (no benchmarks done) that network might be hit
worse than disk IO, because disk can (in theory) use bigger chunks of data on
each operation.

>   In HP EVA best practices guide I read that for perfomance one have to
> create as few LUNs as possible. But if for every domU server I'll create
> separate LUN the number of LUNs will be quite high. Is it possible to
> reduce this number and still retain live migration capability and store
> domU server's data on SAN?

use a single LUN and split it via LVM.  better make it CLVM, so you can
administer it with all nodes online.  (has anybody done it with clustered
HA/EVMS?)

--
Javier