Re: [Xen-users] Install guest under SLES10

On 21 Nov 2006 at 11:39, Jan Albrecht wrote:

> Hi,
> Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >> has anyone of you installed SuSE 10.1 or 10.2 from a network/CD
> >> installation source in SLES 10 (with/without yast)?
> >>

> > http://www.suse.de/~kraxel/xen/suse-guest.html
> >
> > 10.1 should just work, 10.2-beta 32bit too.
> > 10.2 64bit kernels had a bug until very recently which prevented them
> > from booting on 3.0.2 hosts (i.e. sles10).
> After playing a bit with the values it seems that 10.1 and 10.2 need for
> installation a lot of memory.

Right: Yast Online Update alone needs > 200MB of virtual RAM in 10.1 (with
current
patches). Before that it was worse. Probably what you see when instaling. Did
you
try the "reloaded" version of 10.1?

> After giving 1500 MB to an installation it works perfectly. I assume
> that adding the installation source uses so much memory, that the
> instllation dies.

"An XML parser is a program that need 200 MB of RAM to process a 50MB file, and
XML is a technology to convert a 1kB configuration file int 16kB" ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich