Re: [Xen-users] How long is a kernel supported?

Am Dienstag, den 21.11.2006, 13:50 +0100 schrieb Henning Sprang:
> [...]
> On 11/19/06, Goran <xamiw@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > [...]
> > A. How long will be Xen 3.0.3_0 supported?
>
> If "support" means for you something like bugfix or security releases
> that keep most of the API and configuration, I have not seen such
> thing in Xen 3.
> [...]
Yes, that's what I mean. I just want to check the repository every night
and if a change is found to recompile xen-hypervisor, xen-tools,
xen-kernel, xen-modules pack it into deb-packages and put it on my
private debian ftp-server for all my xen-machines. BUT where's the
repository?! Is it http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-3.0.3-testing.hg ?

> On the other hand, I've not heard from xen security problems until
> now, but that's a bad reason to have no security information for users
> at all.
>
> > B. How long will I be able to compile Xen-able linux-kernels ver.
> > 2.6.16.xy with Xen 3.0.3_0?
>
> I don't understand this question exactly. As far as I understand it:
> I've not seen a Xen Release where only the Kernel was updated.
> [...]
Ahh...

> Trying to use an other Kernel means, you have to see yourself to get
> the most current Xen patches into the Kernel, and you probably have to
> work with testing/unstable Xen and Xen kernel Versions.
> [...]
Right, but if Xen wants to get into the Linux kernel Xen must be
available in every kernelversion after entering the kernel (e.g
2.6.16.ab, 2.6.17.cd and so on should contains Xen). I know, Xen is
still not available in the official kernel but why can't I download just
a patch for my desired kernel? Xen-hypervisor and Xen-tools should be
independent by kernelversion XOR available for every kernelversion.

> > C. Will I be able to compile Xen-able linux-kernels ver. 2.6.16.xy with
> > other versions than Xen 3.0.3_0?
>
> The developers can tell about the future, in the past, later versions
> of Xen where incompatible to older Kernels AFAIK. And the Xen Linux
> Patches where for exact the Linux version that comes with the sources.
>
> It would be really nice to hear comments from the developers here.
> Maybe they hear and reply one day.
>

> Henning
Yeah, nice. A developer answered...

Am Dienstag, den 21.11.2006, 13:46 +0000 schrieb Keir Fraser:
> [...]
> We support older XenLinux trees built against more recent Xen, but not vice
> versa. We support older XenLinux binaries running on newer Xen, *and* newer
> XenLinux binaries running as far back as Xen 3.0.2.
>
>  -- Keir
That's good to hear but one question. Where is the repository of the stable
Xen-versions? E.g. 3.0.2? I just can find
http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-3.0.3-testing.hg .

Goran