Re: [Xen-users] Linux HVM tutorial ?

On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 16:59 +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:

> Just does what it says, redirect serial port to the console.

I figured as such, but since the commented pointed at /dev/pts I thought
it best to ask.

> So you can setup a getty at /dev/ttyS0, and/or boot your linux kernel
> with "console=ttyS0", then use "xm console <domain>" to connect to the
> other end of the virtual serial line and see the messages, log into the
> machine, ...

Should arguments to the kernel to be fully virtualized be specified
here:

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"

i.e.

/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader console=ttys0 [ ... ]

Or, I noticed that pretty much everything you'd need to pass to the
kernel is able to be specified somewhere in the guest config, so in
essence the serial="" line just refers to where to setup the other end
on the guest?

>From the comments it looked more like where to land it on dom-0.

Sorry to seem so redundant, I'm just really hoping to understand prior
to doing so I don't have to send someone to the un-manned DC to reboot
the server :) This is something that could easily break.

> cheers,
>
>   Gerd

Thanks in advance!
Tim